Lucy McCarraher is an experienced novelist, script-writer, journalist, publisher and editor. She has taught Creative Writing courses and mentored individual writers through works of fact and fiction.
In a Creative Writing course (6+ sessions) or workshop (half day or full day), Lucy takes participants through the essentials of:
- Inspiration - place, people, story, action, and how to capture and condense them
- Plot, Theme and Story - the differences and intersections. Seven basic plots, zeitgeistthemes, creating a story arc
- Characters - building their background, believablity and unique voices
- Research - sources of fact transformed into fiction
- Planning - outline, section or chapter breakdown, drafting
- Genre and Style - originality, niche, readership, tone and pitch
- Presentation - the editing process, manuscript layout, punctuation and grammar
- Publication - short story competitions, journals; agents and publishers for fiction
CREATIVE WRITING workshops provide stimulating and refreshing team bonding/away days and can be themed around work-related subjects.
CREATIVE WRITING mentoring/coaching is available for writers getting started, or those developing a piece of work. Regular phone or face-to-face sessions include goal-setting, editing notes, creative brainstorming.
EDITING services. Lucy will edit and format a manuscript to industry standards for submission to publishers or agents. She specialises in polishing a text by enhancing, rather than replacing, the writer's individual voice and style.
DRAFTING/POLISHING speeches, presentations and reports. Lucy is a skilled speech writer, experienced in formating presentations and invariably adds clarity and style to reports and other documents.
WRITER IN RESIDENCE
Your organisation can take advantage of Lucy's experience and expertise over a longer period by having her as its Writer in Residence for three to twelve months. In this role she is able to deliver a range of workshops and coaching, speak at events and raise the organisational profile. She can work with management or specific departments on projects that will further organisational aims and develop buy-in and creative thinking among staff, students and stakeholders.